- When will Shadows of Eternity be available?
- Where can I get Shadows of Eternity?
- Will there be a monthly fee?
- What race/class can I choose?
- Can I own my own town?
- Will there be player vs player?
- Can people take my stuff?
General (return to top)
- 1. When will Shadows of Eternity be available?
- Shadows of Eternity is currently in development. The game is currently in a pre-alpha state, with many, many features left to implement. That said, it is possible to log in, run around, and beat each other up. The engine may be in alpha state sometime by 2014 -- no promises though, this is a hobbyist project and everyone's time is highly variable. Check the News Page for updates.
- 2. Where can I get Shadows of Eternity?
- Despite being pre-alpha, the game client is available for download from the "downloads" section of the website. The client will update automatically once installed. If you experience any problems getting the client up and runing, please let me know.
- 3. Will there be a monthly fee?
- You can play for free forever. About 20% of the game will be open to you if you choose to do so. Paid players will be able to experience the full game. Our current guesstimate for a monthly fee is $2 CDN, but nothing has been finalized.
Technical (return to top)
- 1. What are the system requirements to play Shadows of Eternity ?
- You must be able to run Sun's Java version 5.0 (available at www.java.sun.com for Windows and several other operating systems). Under Windows, the game client should run reasonably well on a celeron 466 with 128MB of memory. Shadows of Eternity can be played over a dialup connection. Latency - the time it takes information to get from your computer to the game server - matters more than bandwidth. There is a network widget in the bottom center of the game client; it keeps track of your current ping and displays a green, yellow, or red circle depending on how good your connection to the server is.
- 2. Can I play from behind a firewall?
- Yes. If you can surf the internet, you can play.
Game Play (return to top)
- 1. What race/class can I choose?
- Shadows of Eternity does not use classes. Players will instead use a skill-based system to customize their characters. The races currently planned are: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Troll, Ogre and Halfling. Bloody Elf is a "joke" race, it will eventually be excised.
- 2. Can I own my own town?
- Yes! Aside from the admin-run starting town, players will be able to found their own towns. Town ownership will not be a simple process, but authority can be delegated to other players to help with the load.
- 3. Will there be player vs player?
- Yes, player vs players is always on, for everyone. Various schemes are under consideration to try and minimize the more abusable aspects of PVP. Possibilities include a toggleable setting for player-owned towns (along the lines of "don't start a fight in town or the guards will intervene") and various penalties for attacking players of drastically lower experience. The gods of Alioth take a dim view of bullies.
- 4. Can people take my stuff?
- Yes, very little in the game will be "sticky", although certain stashes may be to facilitate trading/auctions. Players may also booby-trap and lock containers to frustrate would-be thieves.